Viet Nature Conservation Centre is a non-profit Scientific and Technological Organisation, operating in the field of nature conservation, under the Union of Science and Technology of Vietnam (called VUSTA). Viet Nature was converted from an international conservation organization-BirdLife International which has been operating in Vietnam for 20 years in the field of nature conservation.
Currently we are implementing the project: “Protection of biodiversity and enhancement of ecosystem services of the Dong Chau – Khe Nuoc Trong Forest, Le Thuy District, Quang Binh Province”.
We are inviting qualified candidates to apply for the following position:
Job Title: Project Field Manager
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duty Station:This position is based in Khe Nuoc Trong project field office in Le Thuy District, Quang Binh province.
Reporting line: Project Director
Purpose: To represent the project in the field; provide day-to-day management and co-ordination of the project activities in the field; in consultation with Project Director and Project Chief Technical Adviser, solicit technical inputs from external consultants, coordinate and provide technical support inputs to project implementation to ensure a high quality of project outputs.
Staff reporting to this post: Field Office Finance and Administration Officer and Field Technical Officers.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- With support in technical aspects from Viet Nature’s Khe Nuoc Trong Project Director and Chief Technical Adviser, represent, manage and coordinate the day-to-day project activities in the field, including recruitment and supervision of project field staff, development of project field office workplans and staff workplans, and meeting the financial and activity reporting requirements of donors, the government and Viet Nature.
- With support in technical aspects from Viet Nature’s Project Director and Chief Technical Adviser, lead in recruitment and supervision of expert consultants to conduct the specific studies and activities detailed in the project plan.
- Lead or support specific project activities as detailed in the project workplan.
- Establish a close working relationship with Dong chau Watershed Protection Forest and local stakeholders and establish a common management and development vision for the Khe Nuoc Trong Forest in line with project objectives.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships and collaboration with government partner agencies, local stakeholders, other relevant projects and civil society organisations.
- In conjunction with relevant agencies, and based on a synthesis of the knowledge and experience gained by the project, present ideas for conservation orientated development visions in the wider Khe Nuoc Trong landscape.
- Assist in building support for Khe Nuoc Trong Forest and sensitive management of the wider ecosystem among government officials and the district, province and national levels through regular information exchange, meetings, seminar and workshops.
- Develop and institute procedures to ensure that all project activities and outputs are executed to the highest possible standard.
- Inside Viet Nature:
Work closely with the Conservation and Sustainable Development team in Viet Nature’s headquarters.
Engage with and support project staff.
- Outside Viet Nature:
Interact regularly with government agencies, project partners, consultants, service providers, etc.
- Responsibility for work of others:
Field Office Finance and Administration Officer and Field Technical Officers.
The successful candidate will have a successful track record in personnel and project management, preferably with protected area management, rural development, and/or natural resources management in Vietnam, and in central Vietnam in particular.
The following attributes are desired:
- A Vietnamese national
- Post-graduate degree (M.Sc or Ph.D) in biodiversity conservation and/or natural resource management, or rural development, or another relevant field;
- 6-10 years of relevant experience in project development, monitoring and evaluation, management of multi-disciplinary teams, financial management and procurement, participatory methods (for appraisal, learning, and awareness), and local community resource management and conservation issues;
- Language ability: Fluency in spoken and written English (preferably TOEIC>=800; or ITETS 7.0, TOEFLE>= 580);
- Computer literate, especially in MS Office. Knowledge about GIS and spatial monitoring and reporting tools like MIST and SMART (for measuring, evaluating and improving the effectiveness of site-based conservation activities) is an advantage;
- Strong ability in communication and networking, negotiations and writing;
- Strong experience in working with government partners in donor-funded projects.
- Flexibility and ability to operate in different cultural settings and with a variety of stakeholders (culturally and gender sensitive);
- Working on own initiative with minimum supervision and staying on task
- Able to work in the forest/field and travel as required.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can send a application letter, a CV with copies of relevant degrees and names of three references to:
Trung tâm bảo tồn thiên nhiên Việt
#202, nhà 18T2, Lê Văn Lương, Thanh Xuân, Hà nội.
or email to: Admin@thiennhienviet.org.vn with the subject: “Application for the position of KNT Project Field Manager – [your name]”
Closing date for application: 28th February 2015.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interviews. Please no telephone contact after submitting the application. This is a re-advertisement. Those who already applied need not re-apply.
| BACKGROUNDViet Nature Conservation Centre (Viet Nature) is a Vietnamese not-for-profit science and technology organization in the field of nature conservation, established in 2012 under the Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations (VUSTA), under license issued by the Ministry of Science and Technology on 2nd January 2013.
Viet Nature’s vision of Vietnam is a country with a healthy natural environment maintaining its diversity of species and habitats, its ecological integrity and resilience, where people and nature and people live in harmony and prosperity, responsibly and sustainably.
Viet Nature’s mission is nature conservation – its species, habitats and natural ecosystem, sustainable use of natural resources, working with people to improve the quality of life for people as well as all life on earth.
Viet Nature’s main registered areas of operation include, inter alia:
Evolved from BirdLife International Vietnam Programme, Viet Nature is working towards becoming a member of the prestigious BirdLife International Partnership and working with many other national and international organizations to realize its conservation vision.
Viet Nature, together with the Quang Binh Forest Protection Department and Dong Chau Watershed Protection Forest, are implementing a 5-year project entitled “Protection of biodiversity and enhancement of ecosystem services of the Dong Chau – Khe Nuoc Trong Forest, Quang Binh province, Vietnam” (hereinafter referred to as “KNT Project”). The project ‘s purpose is to build a sustainable foundation of support and management for Khe Nuoc Trong Forest and its surrounding landscape through the public-private partnership between Viet Nature Conservation Centre, Quang Binh Provincial Forest Protection Department and Dong Chau Watershed Protection Forest Management Board to manage the site as a Nature Reserve – the level of protection that its extreme biodiversity value deserves. Viet Nature is responsible for the management and execution of the project. The Project Field Manager will be contracted by Viet Nature to represent Viet Nature in the project activities in Quang Binh Province in consultation with the Project Director.
The project uses carbon financing approach, which is by its nature long-term and the project is envisaged to last for 30 years, with initial funding secured for 5 years (2014-2019).